This FLPOA Website Page contains info about the Forest Lakes Community Boat, Boat Reservation Request Document, and Waiver of Liability document. Enjoy, and happy boating!
The Sun Dolphin 12 ft Jon Boat is Available to all Forest Lakes Residents!
About the Community Boat
A 12-foot long Sun Dolphin 12ft Jon Boat, with oars and lifejackets is one of the many amenities that residents can enjoy. The boat is available to borrow for use on Swan Lake. Please note that you must be 18 or older (or 14 to 17 with parent's signature), sign a Waiver of Liability statement, and insure lifejackets are worn by non-swimmers and any accompanying children 12 years old or under.
Residents must contact the Brownstone Properties Management office (434 771-6013) to reserve the Community boat. Download and fill out the Reservation form
and sign the Waiver of Liability form
and provide to the Brownstone office (contact info in next paragraph). Once you have provided the completed paperwork, you will receive the combination to unlock the padlock on the boat. Please leave the chain and combination lock locked to the boat rack while you are using the boat. After you have used the boat, replace the boat back on the rack (bottom side up) and lock the boat back to the rack with the chain and combination lock.
You can reserve the boat and receive the lock's combination during office hours which are Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Call Brownstone at 434 771-6013 to make the reservation. Remember, you will have to plan ahead if you want to use the boat during the weekend.
To Download a Community Boat Reservation Form, Policy, and Waiver of Liability Form, click on the Documents and Forms link to the left.
Policy on the Use of the Forest Lakes Community Boat
- The Community Boat - a row boat (jon boat) is available for the use of FLPOA members and their guests.
- The boat is stored near the Swan Lake floating dock and are available to borrow for use on Swan Lake.
- You can sign up for the boat by calling the Brownstone Administrative Office (434 771-6013) and filling out a Community Boat Reservation Form.
- You must be 18 or older, or 14 to 17 AND have a parent co-sign the reservation and Waiver of Liability. No one under 14 years of age will be allowed to use the boat without also having an adult's presence in the boat.
- All participants must sign the Community Boat Usage Waiver of Liability statement (WOL).
- Use the combination given to you to open the lock on the community boat. Do not give the combination to the boat lock to anyone else.
- A lifejacket is required for each person in the boat, and a throwable cushion is required to be in the boat according to VA Law.
- It is strongly recommended that lifejackets be worn by all boaters at all times. Lifejackets must be worn by any accompanying children 13 years old or under, and any non-swimmer(s).
- The jon boat weighs about 110 lbs. It is recommended that two people carry the boat to the water. Do not drag the boat on concrete or asphalt. Take care placing the boat upside down on the rack, after placing the life jackets and oars, and make sure it is properly locked to the boat rack.
- Safe Loading recommendations, based on similar boats this size are 2 Persons OR about 400 pounds, with total loaded weight including equipment not to exceed 510 pounds.
- The following articles are NOT allowed in the boat: Glass bottles, animals, alcoholic beverages, weapons, chewing gum, fireworks or illegal substances.
- Users will be held responsible for any intentional damage or loss, or damage or loss due to negligence, to either the boat or issued equipment.